Contemplating your first bicycle century can be intimidating even scary! It’s pretty easy to psych yourself out and make yourself really nervous about your ability to finish.
15 tips to help you make it through your first bicycle century.
- Train well before you attempt your first bicycle century.
- Eat a good meal with carbs and protein the night before the ride
- hydrate hydrate hydrate ~ make sure you drink every 15 minutes. It’s much easier to stay ahead of your hydration than to catch up.
- Stand up in on your bike once in a while ~ give your hiney a break.
- Go your own pace! Don’t worry about how fast everyone else is going!
- If you can’t make it up a hill ~ no worries, just get off and walk.
- Make sure to carry an extra tire tube and know how to change a tire.
- HAVE FUN!! That’s why we do this after all right??
- Bring Snacks and eat BEFORE you get hungry.
- Make sure your bike fits you ~ seat the right height, and in the right position.
- Before the ride visualize yourself getting through the tough moments.
- Don’t ride full out the whole ride ~ spend most of the ride at a level you can easily carry on a conversation.
- Change your hand positions often.
- Bicycle shorts will help immensely.
- If it’s hot make sure to rest in the shade, and drink extra water.
There you have 15 tips to help you make it through your first bicycle century event. The big thing to understand about finishing your first century ride is to make sure you’ve trained for the event. The right training can make the difference between finishing your first century and bonking half way through.